Imagine owning a machine that prints money.
Every time you put in $1, you get that $1 plus back.
Whether it's spitting out $1.01 or $6, you'd run that machine all day.
And, that's the dream, right?
To have a reliable system that generates a consistent ROI?
The problem is, it's not easy to do.
Plus, you're constantly pushed in a million different directions.
Should you …
- Start a blog?
- Focus on social media?
- Build backlinks?
- Setup email automation?
- Guest blog?
- Start a podcast?
- Run Facebook Ads?
- Run Adwords?
- Make YouTube videos?
- And the list continues …
Unfortunately, these activities aren't the machine; however, they're what most small businesses and entrepreneurs focus on.
Instead, these activities are the machine's fuel.
You need a machine before you need the fuel.
And, I want to give you a machine for FREE!
The Digital Product(s) Sales Funnel (The Machine)
The sales funnel I'm about to describe is perfect for businesses that sell digital goods like courses, ebooks, resources, memberships, etc.
- Related Video: How To Build A Membership Area In ClickFunnels
Here's an overview of the sales funnel:
Preview Pages: Squeeze Page | Video Sales Letter | OTO #1 | Downsell | OTO #2 | Order Confirmation
Squeeze Page [see page]
The first page in this sales funnel is what's called a Squeeze Page.
It's name is derived from the fact it “squeezes” the contact information out of the visitor.
This is typically accomplished by offering an incentive called a Lead Magnet. [read more about Lead Magnets]
Once you have the individual's contact information, you're able to engage with them to help move them through the funnel.
The Squeeze Page included with this funnel is my top converting squeeze page of all time.
Yes, it's plain, but I constantly test it against prettier pages and it always wins.
Video Sales Letter (VSL) [see page]
The Video Sales Letter (VSL) is exactly like it sounds … a video that acts as a sales letter.
Instead of writing a long form sales page that takes hours and possibly days, you can shoot a 3-6 minute video in less than an hour.
Customers typically prefer video over the long sales pages. Or, you can always kill two birds with one stone and include a video plus a little write-up that outlines what you talk about in the video.
Win-win, you do less time consuming work and customers like it more!
What should you say in your VSL? I recommend starting with Jim Edwards' “How To Write Great Video Sales Letter Script” Formula.
What Should You Sell?
There are several schools of thought here and I'll explain a couple, but it's by no means all inclusive.
Tripwire / Self-Liquidating Offer (SLO)
A Tripwire or Self-Liquidating Offer is a cheap product (usually under $10) that's so amazing people can't NOT buy it.
The idea behind it is to get the individual to open their wallet, qualify themselves as a buyer, and once you make this initial sale – the next should be easier.
Tripwires and SLOs can help you recoup ad spend.
However, they may attract low quality leads that are “bargain hunters” who will never buy any OTOs or upsells.
Your Core Product (Reversed Value Ladder)
Instead of going the whole Tripwire/SLO route, why not try and sell what you actually want to sell?
If they don't take your offer, you can then recommend lower priced versions of it.
Maybe they don't want your full blown Facebook Ads course for $197, but they'll take your ads cheat sheet & walkthrough for $27, or just the cheat sheet for $7.
There are many ways to structure this portion and the bulk of your time will likely be placed on testing which structure works best for your business, product, and audience.
Timed Price/Button Reveal
If you look at the example page, you wont see a button or order form until 15 seconds have passed. (you can adjust this to any amount of time)
The idea behind this tactic is that you draw the person in, make them crave your product, and have them thinking it's going to be super expensive. Then, when you mention the price, you also display the “Order Now” button and the corresponding order form.
By the time you show them the price, they're already sold and they buy it right away!
That's the idea at least, but does this tactic work?
Run a split test inside ClickFunnels – one variation with the delay, one without, and see which wins! Different audiences behave differently so the only way to be sure what's best for yours is to test.
OTO #1 (One-Time-Offer) [see page]
Hurray! Someone purchased your initial offer from the VSL page, and whether it was a Tripwire or your Core Offer … their wallet is open and they're in buying mode!
OTO stands for One-Time-Offer and it’s essentially a special offer presented to an individual, only one time, which is right now! If they don’t act now, they miss out on this exclusive offer forever. This added element of scarcity increases conversions.
Typically, OTO #1 is one of two things:
- Your Core Offer, if you offered a Tripwire or SLO. This is the course or resource that you “really” want to sell.
- A Continuity Offer, if you offered your core offer as the initial offer. For example, some type of membership site, community, or additional support that's recurring.
Either way, it should complement what they just purchased.
The video included in the funnel example is just a placeholder. You need to shoot your own video or you can make a text based offer if you’d rather; however, video typically converts better.
The video should only be 3-5 minutes in length and hit on a few key points:
- Tell them the Tripwire/SLO or Core Offer they just grabbed is awesome and they'll have instant access to it in just a minute. Reiterate a key benefit or two.
- Introduce the OTO as a special offer that’s going to make what they just purchased even better.
- Also, hit on the fact that this offer is not for everyone. It’s only for individuals that have grabbed the Initial Offer.
- Tell them what the OTO is and how it will benefit them.
- Tell them to click the “orange” button below to accept the offer.
- If you offer a guarantee, mention it.
- Share a review/testimonial or two. Or at least snippets with the key points.
- Tell them to again click the “orange” button below to accept the offer.
If you hit on all of those points, you’ll easily fill the 3-5 minutes!
Downsell [see page]
Sadly, not everyone is going to accept your OTO #1, no matter how awesome it is.
For the people that say “no” to OTO #1, offer them a downsell.
If OTO #1 was …
… your Core Offer, you can:
- Offer a payment plan. Instead of $197 today, they can join for 3 monthly payments of $67.
- Add a bonus. ie. Additional training, a complementary course, coaching, etc.
- Offer a straight-up discount.
… a Continuity Offer, you can:
- Offer them to join the first month for only $1. (or as low as is practical)
OTO #2 [see page]
Whether or not your new customer purchases OTO #1 or the Downsell, they are presented with OTO #2.
OTO #2 is usually one of three things:
- A Profit Maximizer – A really expensive course, membership, or coaching package. We're looking at the $1,000 dollar range.
- Another complementary course or resource – If you don't have a Profit Maximizer to offer, maybe you can offer another product/resource that complements the initial offer. Even if it's cheaper than OTO #1, that's OK. You can still increase cart order size!
- A Continuity Offer (if not already offered) – If you didn't make a continuity offer in OTO #1, OTO #2 may be a great place to present one.
Like OTO #1, you probably want to use a 3-5 minute video to sell it. You can follow a similar script as the one outlined above.
Order Confirmation [see page]
The Order Confirmation page is simply that, a page that confirms the individual’s order.
It simply thanks them for their order, breaks it down for them, and tells them how to get in touch, what to expect, and what to do next.
An Offer Wall is what it sounds like, a wall of offers. Essentially, you’ll display 3-6 more products and/or services with links to them and possibly some exclusive discounts. If your new customer wants to buy more from you, they know where to look!
I didn’t include one of these with the sales funnel I’m giving away. However, it’s relatively simple to add and something you may want to consider doing!
Now is the time for you to make a decision.
Are you going to continue to focus on “the fuel” or are you going to build the machine?!
In this post, I've given you a sales funnel for free and outlined the entire strategy for it.
All you need to do is execute.
For more training on execution, check out The Sales Funnel Training Vault!