No thanks, we're just looking.
Another person that will probably leave your store empty handed.
There are a million and one reason's people give the classic, "We're just looking" reply ...
- They really are "just looking" also-known-as, doing research
- They have questions, but are too scared or shy to ask
- They're not ready to buy due to money, timing, etc
Whatever the reason ... the problem remains, they're leaving empty handed.
What if ...
... you could turn those "just looking" individuals into paying customers?
... you could have less headaches by dealing with better, more knowledgeable customers that you don't have to "convince" of anything and they're actually dying to buy from you?
... all these well behaved, paying customers came back again, and again, and again saving you all of the time, effort, and energy it takes to bring on new customers?
Don't let people leave empty handed
It's that easy.
When you hear the "We're just looking response" reply with "No problem, and we're actually running a contest where you can win a $100 gift card and all you need to do to enter is give me your email address ... I can take it right now!"
Who would turn that down? Very, very, few people.
Now, they're leaving with a "chance to win" and you have their contact information which enables you to build a relationship.
Taking it digital
The example above is dealing in the physical world; however, this concept applies in the digital world on a much greater scale.
People visiting your website and leaving without buying anything are the same as those people that are "just looking."
Again, you don't want to let people leave empty handed. By offering a freebie, commonly referred to as a Lead Magnet, you're able to collect email addresses and build a relationship.
Building the relationship
Remember the reasons people give the "We're just looking" response from above?
Now that you have their contact information, you can begin to address their objections in the emails you send:
- They're doing research - send comparisons, data, information, case studies, testimonials, results, examples, etc.
- They have questions, but are scared to ask - send emails asking for questions (people don't want to look dumb and behind the "protection" of a computer they're more comfortable asking questions ... you want to make people comfortable), send them frequently asked questions and answers, etc.
- They're not ready to buy due to money, timing, etc. - send coupons, discounts, exclusive offers and keep in touch, letting them know you're still their to support them.
This relationship converts more leads into customers, creates better, more informed customers, and enables you to open the floodgates for more exchanges.